Saturday, April 8, 2017

Stacking the Shelves & Sunday Post - 4.8.17

Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews (details)
AND
Sunday Post hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer (details)

~*~

A third week of slow reading! Ugh.

Took a road trip last weekend to take the kid back to college. The weekend getaway was fun. Lots of good eating and green hillside views. But when I returned, there was a busy week to jump into with only snatches of evening reading time.

I hope to get a good chunk of reading done this weekend possibly at a newly discovered cafe/coffee shop.

I have been diligent in writing every day for the National Letterwriting Month Write-On Challenge. I do not know if there will be any responses, but I feel fine if it turns out to be a one-way effort. The routine of sitting down and putting pen to paper causes one to slow down. If I write too quick there is a tendency for spelling errors. Corrections lined out or scribbled over which is not a pretty sight.

I also read some poetry this week. Heartfelt ones written by the kid. We are going to select a couple to submit to a poetry contest.

~*~

Bought:

Cruel Beautiful World
by Caroline Leavitt
-Coming of Age, Women's Fiction
Amazon | Goodreads

THE April pick for the BookSparks Book Club (details). I liked the looks of this one so joining up. Ah yes, cover love.


Freebies: Amazon Prime

Cinder & Ella
by Kelly Oram
-Romance, YA
Amazon | Goodreads


For Review:

Revived
by Ernesto Pavan
-Dark Humor, Zombies
courtesy of author -Thanks!
Amazon | Goodreads

A Small Revolution
by Jimin Han
-Suspense, South Korea
courtesy of Amazon First program
Amazon | Goodreads


Author event:


Books Inc. at Opera Plaza hosted an event with Augusten Burroughs to celebrate the paperback release of Lust & Wonder. We were treated to a reading, Q&A and signing. During the Q&A it was interesting to learn that he started writing at age 8 and then stopped during his young adult years. When he started writing he wrote a draft of his fiction novel, Sellevision in 7 days. I liked his comment on writing memoirs - "be ugly and real".

Lust & Wonder
by Augusten Burroughs
-Humor, Memoir
Amazon | Goodreads

In chronicling the development and demise of the different relationships he's had while living in New York, Augusten Burroughs examines what it means to be in love, what it means to be in lust, and what it means to be figuring it all out. With Augusten's unique and singular observations and his own unabashed way of detailing both the horrific and the humorous, Lust and Wonder is an intimate and honest memoir that his legions of fans have been waiting for.


AND watched: in theatre

Kedi (2016)
Director: Ceyda Torun
-Documentary, Cats, Turkey | imdb | my rating: 5

A profile of an ancient city (Istanbul) and its unique people, seen through the eyes of the most mysterious and beloved animal humans have ever known, the Cat.

DEFINITELY a must-see for cat lovers. This film perspective is a unique way to learn about a city and its people.


~*~

* comment and TELL me what you have acquired for your shelves recently

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Another week of buying apocalypse, zombie and horror books! No surprises there...Enjoy your zombie book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reading has been kinda slow too. Although it's picked up the last few days. And I love finding a new coffee shop to sit and read in! Always good.

    Kedi looks awesome. Would love to see a movie like that, told from a cat's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Kedi playing? I love that you got to go to that event at Books Inc. I am on a book buying ban so I don't feel like I can attend these events. I would feel obligated to buy the featured book. Have a greatr week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, good haul! Sorry your in a reading slump.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard about Cinder & Ella but that looks so good, I'm going to have to add it to my list! Hope you enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a slow week of reading for me too, I'm afraid. Maybe this next week will be better for both of us? I sure hope so! National Letter writing Month Write-On Challenge sounds like a lot of fun! I enjoy letter writing, although I don't get to do it as often as I used to. I hope you get lots of responses!

    Your new books look good! I have been considering A Small Revolution. It sounds like it will be good. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it after you read it.

    That's cool that you got to hear Augusten Burroughs speak! I read one of his books years ago and it made quite an impression on me.

    I have never heard of Kedi, but will definitely be adding it to my watch list. Thank you for sharing!

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinder & Ella looks really adorable! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul! Cruel Beautiful World looks really interesting! I hope you'll enjoy all the books you got this week! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great week and hope you did get some reading in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The roadtrip sounds fun! Nothing like green hills and nature surrounding you, right? I've not heard of your new additions. I hope you enjoy all of your books!

    Have a fantastic week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of good books you got there! I hope you enjoy them all!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kiddo got me The Regulars which was such a fun read that I tore thru it in a day or so lol Beloved BF spoiled me with a surprise copy of Flashfall and am loving it as well.

    Per digital shelves (shout out to Project Gutenberg), I just added another Victorian farce called Diary of a Nobody and also Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson.

    Curious about Revived - and the movie Kedi looks adorable <3 Enjoy your new goodies and have a gorgeous week!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu