Sunday, July 26, 2009

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Evernight
by Claudia Gray

Published: 2008
Genre: Vampires
Hardback: 327 pages
Rating: 4

Inspiration: I wanted to learn more about this Gothic boarding school world.

Description from author's site:
When the story begins in Evernight, Bianca has just left the small town where she's spent her whole life. She's a new student at Evernight Academy, a creepily Gothic boarding school where her classmates are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas, another loner, who seems fiercely determined not to be the "Evernight type." There's a connection between Bianca and Lucas that can't be denied. She would risk anything to be with him—but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart... and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed to be true.

My thoughts:
In-a-word: Mine

I enjoyed this vampire story that takes place in a boarding school - not your ordinary boarding school. There's a twist in that we get the perspective of a female vampire who is just coming into her own. So, we readers learn about Bianca's vampire world along with her.

At first I wondered if the love interest, Lucas, was glamoured or truly attracted to Bianca. Because vampires do have a way with seduction. But now, I think the relationship is more akin to Romeo and Juliet. It's their destiny to be together, but there are lots of obstacles to overcome - a couple major ones being that Lucas is human and not your regular cutie pie of a boyfriend.

Yup, Bianca and Lucas have made it onto my Fave YA couples list.

Series:
Evernight
Stargazer
Hourglass (Release date: March 9, 2010)
Afterlife (Release date: 2011?)


The Kiss
by Gustav Klimt

This painting is mentioned a lot in the book and I just had to post it here as it is a lovely one.







Lots of fun stuff on Claudia's site:

in Claudia's FAQs:

Q: Why vampires?

A: Why not vampires?
I would say that I've always been interested in vampires, werewolves, ghosts and pretty much anything that should exist (if far from me) but doesn't. I used to check books of folklore out of the library and read for hours. Then there was Anne Rice, then there was Buffy, then there was Moonlight—basically, if it had vampires in it, particularly if it wasn't flat-out horror, I wanted to check it out. Then, a couple of years ago, the idea for the Evernight series came to me, and I thought I would give it a try.

Claudia's soundtrack picks for Evernight are here.



and you can get Evernight postage stamps here!






And for Jane Austen fans:

You'll be interested to know that Claudia says that the Evernight main character, Bianca, enjoys visiting The Republic of Pemberley website.

Also, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is mentioned (page 166) during a class lecture. They were analyzing the character and motives of Charlotte Lucas.


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu