Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bright Star (2009) movie

Bright Star (2009)
Official movie site

Directed and screenplay
by Jane Campion

Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

Inspiration: Jane Austen-esque-ness

Description from imdb:
The drama based on the three-year romance between 19th century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, which was cut short by Keats' untimely death at age 25.

Tagline: First Love Burns Brightest

Memorable quote:
John Keats: (about writing poetry) It ought to come like leaves to a tree, or it better not come at all.

My thoughts:
In-a-word(s): exquisite

Such beauty is found in the minutia of this movie. I loved the scenes with close-ups on hand-stitching, reading letters, walking in the heath.

I just had to see this film on the big screen for the scenery and for the costumes. I certainly got what I expected - a delightful and romantic movie. However, the ending is harsh but true. Campion gives us a gut-wrenching scene when Fanny finds out about Keats' death. You'll need a hankie or two or three or four.

The music soundtrack by Mark Bradshaw was just as lovely. There is one scene where the men gather together for a human orchestra. Their voices alone were woven together for a song. Whoa, such sounds tugs at the heart.

Jane Austen sighting:
In the end credits there is a Jane Austen organization mentioned. The credits zipped by too fast for me to read properly but I think it may have been in relation to the dance scene???

My previous Bright Star post has a trailer and the Bright Star poem.

The Bright Star official site is holding a Love Letter Contest that ends in December. The prize is an Everlon Diamond Knot Collection. If you're feeling creative, you should check it out.

*** Giveaway ***

Before watching the film, I picked up Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne with introduction by Director Jane Campion.

Just like the movie, exquisite. Now, I must seek out more Keats.

Guess what, I picked up a second copy for some lucky soul out there in the blogosphere.

Interested in receiving a bundle of Keats love letters?

Comment and answer me this:

Have you ever written a love letter?

+1 have your ever received a love letter?

+2 tweet for me

+5 post about this on your blog

Open to all.

Offer ends: November 29, 2009

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Contest has ended - winner is here
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

*(Misty) GO see this. You'll love Ben Wishaw even more ;-D

*source image of Brawne and Keats side-by-side




 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu