Saturday, November 7, 2009

Love Songs by Banana Yoshimoto

Love Songs
second novella from Asleep
by Banana Yoshimoto

Published: 1989
Translated: 2001
Hardback: 192 pages
Genre: Ghosts

Description from book:
...a ghost story where a woman finds her sleep haunted by another woman whom she was once pitted against in a love triangle.

My thoughts:
In-a-word: frenemy

Like the first novella in the book, Night and Night's Travelers, death is present.

When inebriated or asleep, the main character, Fumi, experiences strange visions. She decides to visit a midget psychic for answers. The psychic enables Fumi to communicate with the ghostie to resolve unsettled issues.

I left the story with the "if only" feeling. If only we could all resolve issues before death comes upon us.

Novellas in Asleep:
Night and Night's Travelers - my review
Love Songs - my review
Asleep - my review

*character mentions ghost reference from Hoichi, the Earless (my review)

*note: interesting how midgets and dwarves are stereotyped in stories as a device for surreal or dream sequences - I remember this brought up in the movie In Bruges by the dwarf character, Jimmy. His character is an actor in a film (yes, a film within a film) and after a film shoot, he laments about his plight.



 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu